Cheap mobile phones that closely resemble high-end globally-recognised devices are highly dominating the Ghanaian mobile market. Kwame Nrumah Circle in Accra, which i always refer to as Ghana Computer Village is the Marketplace of these counterfeit phones (China Fake Phones) in Accra.
Last month, TECNO Mobile Ghana joined forces with its local agent to crack down on counterfeit products in two key target markets flooding with fake TECNO mobile phones, Accra and Kumasi. Recommend To Read: Original or Fake: How To Check If a Tecno Mobile Phone or Battery is Genuine
My recent research revealed that in Ghana today, Blackberry, Samsung, Apple, HTC and Nokia seem to be the dominating brands in the smartphone market but their high prices makes them unaffordable for the majority.
Among these top phone manufacturers, Samsung is the major brand dominating but the backslash is that 95% of Samsung phones in the market are fake and that is what you will find in the pocket of average Ghanaian mobile users.
China-based mobile phone manufacturer Tecno Mobile Limited is the only brand that has gone beyond the ‘China Phone’ tag and has haunted its products to meet the rising and varying needs of the nation’s phone users.With their 12+1 warranty, you are good to purchase the phone and return it back to the store for repair whenever it got faulty.
85 out of 100 Samsung phone seen in the hands of majority are fake and doesn’t come with warranty. Samsung original mobile phones are used by the minority (tech-savvy, working class & riches 🙂 ).
How & Why Tecno Products Dominates
Tecno realized one thing; Techies don’t control the market. “Illiterate” traders do, so go for them.
Tecno introduced its series of Phantom smartphones into the Ghanaian mobile market just as Samsung introduce the Galaxy series. The Samsung galaxy S Series phones comes with great features but their high prices makes them unaffordable for the majority looking at the present cost of living in Ghana.
Tecno phantom A (F7) has about the same specs as the Samsung grand (which has a screen that’s nothing to write home about) at half the price of the Samsung grand.
However the bitter truth here is that, The average Ghanaian doesn’t know what a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor does in a phone, the average man on the street doesn’t really care what nVidia or Adreno GPU means, the average Ghanaian isn’t really concerned about Gorilla glass and believe me, a lot of phone users in Ghana have no idea what a 2GB RAM could do.
Average phone users just want to watch videos, chat on BBM/Facebook, use WhatsApp and play music. These people are Tecno’s main target and that is why their products comes with MTK processors, 1GB RAM and other things these people are comfortable with.Samsung is meant to makes premium products with high price tag and sometimes also make affordable products as well but the production of china fake phones is killing the sales of the original ones. 90% of Samsung phones in the Ghanaian mobile market are fake.
if you’re a very tech-savvy individual who cares about every little technical detail or you just like to show off your phone brand name, Tecno may not be the right phone for you but Samsung.
How To Spot a Fake/China Phone
- Generally counterfeit/fake phones are being sold by show-glass retailers and young guys on the stands at Kwame Nkrumah Circle .
- In small and hardly visible writing, will be the words ‘MADE IN CHINA‘. This again is a subtle sign, which will tell you that the phone you’re buying is not original.
- All new mobile phones come with a standard 1 year warranty from the manufacturer. A warranty terms state that in the event of a fault, you have to send the phone back to the seller, rather than the manufacturer. NO SELLER WOULD OFFER YOU THIS UNLESS THEY ARE SELLING FAKES.
- One major giveaway is the PRICE. An example: The Price of Original Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in Ghana is around Ghc1100 at most authorized samsung brand dealers but a fake Samsung Galaxy Note 3 will sell around GHC300 – GHC 500.
- Tecno now have portal to check if a Tecno Mobile Phone or Battery is Genuine or not. Just click HERE
In Summary & Conclusion
- Samsung Phone is the most preferred & used by the Majority in Ghana
- Tecno Mobile as a brand generates more revenue than Samsung in-terms of official sales, while in-terms of general sales (Fake & Original) Samsung dominate.
- Samsung mobile products owns the largest % of fakes phones in the Ghanaian mobile market.
- Tecno is the official phone of the masses. That’s the image they’ve spent years actively ingraining into the Ghanaian and African mobile consumer consciousness.
- Tecno realized one thing; Techies don’t control the market. “Illiterate” traders do, so go for them.
- The Majority of mobile users in Ghana are after cheap phones, that is the reason why CHINA/FAKE PHONES IS DOMINATING THE GHANAIAN MOBILE MARKET
At this Junction (J) Time (T), i will be resting my fingers and passover the keyboard to you. Do not forget To Subscribe to OLAMOSH.Net by Email so as not to miss any of my upcoming articles.
Kindly use the comment form below to share your view about this article, Samsung/Tecno products.
Recommend You To Read:Tecno Mobile to release a 6-Core Processor,5.5” Gorilla Glass HD Android Phone